Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Spindles, Fiber- Batts,Christmas and Cashmere

I recently got in the mail a box of ten pounds of 50/50 silk and superwash merino, and 80/20 superwash merino and CASHMERE. I am just itching to paint some up- but I only have one club shipment left to put together and HAVE to do that first. Soon, soon... The cashmere blend is so soft- when you touch it, you can barely feel it. I want to make a big nest of it, and sleep there like a giant fiber obsessed bird. Crazy? Definitely. I must dye it up for the shop though... maybe when I win the lottery.
Speaking of birds and nests of fiber- I was thinking about putting together little balls of brightly colored tufts of fiber and glitz, like angelina and firestar and maybe some little colorful strips of fabric, aqnd putting them in my shop for folks to offer to their local stylish bird community. In the spring you can put them outside for the birds to sample and use to build their nests- then you can look for bright fancy nests throughout the summer. I USED to dry my fiber outside in the sun (in the summer of course) until I noticed that they were somehow getting damaged- like something was pulling chunks of fibers out of the roving. I had mu suspisions, but knew for sure when I saw a nest in a tree outside my window that was BRIGHT PINK! I thought the bird had great taste- but wasn't so sure I wanted to share hunks of the roving I intended to sell- so decided to put together some offerings for the stylish nest builder. I think I will put some in the shop in late winter.

We got a Christmas tree a couple of weeks ago- and Jeremy, my husband, convinced me to buy LED lights. He said we could leave them on all the time- because they use very little energy. I was distracted at the time, with both kids at Target on Black Friday- what was I thinking?? I said sure- grab them. Yuck, yuck, yuck. They are lifeless, depressing lights. I am into saving the planet- but I just cant do these awful things. Christmas as a child, for me, was always very magical. I loved the little white lights casting their soft light in the dark living room. They were mezmerizing, and filled me with exitement and a feeling of safety. They had a calming effect, and they are in essence, Christmas to me.
I am a christmas freak- I love it to the core of my soul- I have my Mom to thank for that- and her mom as well, as my grandmother instilled the Christmas love in her. When the lights go up on the tree- my Christmas spirit really swells, and it feels like the beginning. But these other "energy saving" lights went up, and I felt nothing. I didn't even want to be in the room. I didn't want to decorate the tree, no exitement. No joy. The tree was there, there were lights, but it was all wrong.
I had enough, and tonight I pulled out the box of regular lights. They are almost all up, and the feeling is coming back. I shouldn't have waited so long, but I feel so much better now.
I guess, for me- Christmas is not Christmas without the sights, smells, memories and traditions of my childhood. I want my daughter to develop the same love and thrill that I have always felt toward Christmas. I want us to make our own memories and traditions, and if I don't have the spirit and sparkle in my eyes- she will not find it. She is almost three, and this is her first Christmas where the magic really starts. I have to do this right.
I am so glad I put up the other lights. We will decorate the tree tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I like the idea of nest building packs. We had some prairie doves outside our dining room window, and it'd be nice if their nest had more flair next year.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep comments here honest and appropriate. Thank you for reading my blog!